One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bicycle painted white and left as a memorial at a site where a cyclist was fatally injured in a collision with a motor vehicle.‘a ghost bike is a reminder of the vulnerability of cyclists’
- ‘From the statues of the long-dead to the white "ghost bikes" of the recently taken cyclist, there is a human need to record and remember.’
- ‘On Brian's side of the roundabout, outside McDonalds, a ghost bike has appeared.’
- ‘Cann found a snow-white "ghost bike," festooned with a maroon Christmas garland and placed at the site of a bicycle accident.’
- ‘Her white ghost bike has been reinstated on the railings in memoriam.’
- ‘Fellow graphic design students have honoured Charlie by chaining the ghost bike to the willow tree outside the college.’
- ‘A "ghost bike" marked the intersection for months following his death.’
- ‘There's not much left of his ghost bike by the A12 junction, but his helmet, gloves and neckerchief have somehow survived the ravages of three months in the open.’
- ‘It lived on as an urban sculpture: a roadside shrine and an extravagant ghost bike rolled into one.’
- ‘One coasts past the 'ghost bike' memorials, fallen soldiers in the silent war between the car drivers and the meek and environmentally conscious.’
- ‘Some ghost bikes, which first appeared in 2003 in St. Louis, have been vandalized or had handlebars and other parts stolen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.