One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Any of a number of bats with mainly white or grey fur.
- ‘African and Asian false vampires and Australian ghost bats, the largest of the Microchiroptera, likewise devour frogs, birds, and small mammals, including other species of bats.’
- ‘Northern ghost bats like to stay in humid habitats such as tropical and riparian rainforests.’
- ‘He mentions a case where some catholic missionaries were kept awake by night by ghost bats who used the church entrance for eating.’
- ‘Using echolocation, ghost bats hunt for large insects, lizards, frogs, birds and even other bats.’
- ‘The average head and body measurement of a ghost bat is 100 mm, each forearm also measures an average of 100 mm.’
- 1.1see white bat
- ‘Adult and juvenile ghost bats forage independently, coming and going from their roosts as they please.’
- ‘The ghost bats have translucent-looking creamy-coloured wings, so in flight they do look ghostly indeed.’
- ‘Have students identify the two other types of bats mentioned in this segment - bentwing and ghost bats.’
- ‘More than half - 78 species - were bats, including ghost bats, fishing bats, giant false vampire bats, mammal- and bird-feeding vampire bats, nectar-feeding bats, fruit bats, sucker-winged bats, and free-tailed bats.’
- ‘Some of these bats such as the ghost bats, capture their meals while flying high in the open air.’
- 1.2Australian another term for false vampire
- ‘One can therefore argue safely that visual specialisations that were found to be absent from ghost bats are unlikely to turn up in Amorphochilus, Furipterus or some other rare, non-visual microbat.’
- ‘The study looked at the social and reproductive behaviour of the ghost bats, as well as their hunting and feeding behaviour.’
- ‘It has to be a pretty small carnivore and there have to be many of them since the floor is thickly covered with droppings, so ghost bats would have made sense.’
- ‘If a sound comes back the ghost bat swoops down and raps its wings around its pray and bites it to kill it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.