One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A protest in which workers prevent employers leaving a place of work until certain demands are met.‘a gherao was to be conducted at the municipal offices’
demonstration, march, protest march, peace camp, rally, sit-in, human chain, occupation, sleep-in, dirty protest, write-in, non-cooperationView synonyms
- ‘Of course, this is followed by walkouts from the Assembly, dharnas, gheraos, bandhs and other forms of agitation.’
- ‘To add variety, new forms of coercion, like gheraos, were invented.’
- ‘‘If the government will not respond to our demands we have no option left but to organise a demonstration and gherao during the assembly session,’ he said.’
- ‘The shopkeepers would resort to fasts, protest demonstrations and gheraos.’
- ‘The union lifted the gherao after giving the electricity board a one-day ultimatum.’
From Hindi gherāo ‘surround, besiege’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.