One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A protest in which workers prevent employers leaving a place of work until certain demands are met.‘a gherao was to be conducted at the municipal offices’
demonstration, march, protest march, peace camp, rally, sit-in, human chain, occupation, sleep-in, dirty protest, write-in, non-cooperationView synonyms
- ‘‘If the government will not respond to our demands we have no option left but to organise a demonstration and gherao during the assembly session,’ he said.’
- ‘The shopkeepers would resort to fasts, protest demonstrations and gheraos.’
- ‘The union lifted the gherao after giving the electricity board a one-day ultimatum.’
- ‘To add variety, new forms of coercion, like gheraos, were invented.’
- ‘Of course, this is followed by walkouts from the Assembly, dharnas, gheraos, bandhs and other forms of agitation.’
From Hindi gherāo ‘surround, besiege’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.