One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A circular pot beaten with the hands as a percussion instrument in south Indian music.
- ‘The program will feature solo, duo and trio pieces incorporating the bamboo flute, sitar and a variety of percussion instruments including the tabla, ghatam and kanjeera (tambourine).’
- ‘The American students are fascinated by the ghatam.’
- ‘But now almost every musician replicates the rhythm patterns of a mridangam or ghatam through his voice.’
- ‘Being a percussion instrument, the ghatam involves the use of the hands, palms and fingers and even the nails, in order to produce various types and levels of sound, in a harmonious manner.’
- ‘Many young South Indians are adept at Carnatic music and can accompany even professional musicians on the mridangam, the ghatam or the violin.’
From Sanskrit via Tamil or Telugu.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.