Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A circular pot beaten with the hands as a percussion instrument in south Indian music.
- ‘Many young South Indians are adept at Carnatic music and can accompany even professional musicians on the mridangam, the ghatam or the violin.’
- ‘But now almost every musician replicates the rhythm patterns of a mridangam or ghatam through his voice.’
- ‘The program will feature solo, duo and trio pieces incorporating the bamboo flute, sitar and a variety of percussion instruments including the tabla, ghatam and kanjeera (tambourine).’
- ‘The American students are fascinated by the ghatam.’
- ‘Being a percussion instrument, the ghatam involves the use of the hands, palms and fingers and even the nails, in order to produce various types and levels of sound, in a harmonious manner.’
From Sanskrit via Tamil or Telugu.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.