Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in South Asia) any of the various specialist schools or methods of classical music or dance.‘one of the doyens of the Delhi gharana’
- ‘I am a trained singer of the famed Patiala gharana.’
- ‘The Hindustani vocalist and exponent of the Mewati gharana is busy these days giving the finishing touches to an all-India music performance series which he plans to launch in March.’
- ‘This year's festival will see a special emphasis on the Gwalior gharana.’
- ‘The gharana is characterised by straight vocal inflection and stresses on bringing out the emotional content of a raga.’
- ‘These weekly recitals are linked by a common aim to show a range of styles belonging to a distinct and separate lineage or gharana.’
From Hindi gharānā family.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.