One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Asia) any of the various specialist schools or methods of classical music or dance.‘one of the doyens of the Delhi gharana’
- ‘The Hindustani vocalist and exponent of the Mewati gharana is busy these days giving the finishing touches to an all-India music performance series which he plans to launch in March.’
- ‘This year's festival will see a special emphasis on the Gwalior gharana.’
- ‘The gharana is characterised by straight vocal inflection and stresses on bringing out the emotional content of a raga.’
- ‘I am a trained singer of the famed Patiala gharana.’
- ‘These weekly recitals are linked by a common aim to show a range of styles belonging to a distinct and separate lineage or gharana.’
From Hindi gharānā ‘family’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.