Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in South Asia) a long full skirt, often decorated with embroidery, mirrors, or bells.
- ‘It will include a ghagra for the Punjabi ceremony and a Banarasi red silk sari for the Bihari.’
- ‘The Sherwani and the ghagra cholis were decorated with embroidery and Australian diamonds.’
- ‘Sometimes a ghaghra, a long skirt dating back to Mogul times, replaces the salwar.’
- ‘Abu-Sandeep's bridal wear combines chikankari with mirror work and zardozi on panelled ghagras and tie front cholis.’
- ‘From Gujarat there are the colourful ghaghra choli for little girls and also a dhoti-kurta for boys which is being called the " Vajpayee dhoti ".’
- ‘Twelve days of wedding frenzy, hundreds of relatives, non-stop havans, sister of the bride in a fishtail ghagra choli.’
- ‘The men's wear has block-printed short kurtas in cotton to jute-like fabric while the kids wear has ethnic ghagra cholis.’
- ‘Rajaram of Sundari Silks in the city says ghagra choli seems to outsell half sari as a special occasion dress.’
- ‘This year, princess-cut ghagras with long corset blouses are in.’
- ‘Traditional ghagras were there and so were the latest Western cuts.’
- ‘Purva P, a fashion designer of a leading store, says that Brides want the ghagra, blouse and dupatta in different shades.’
- ‘At Pooja and Anant Bajaj's wedding reception on Tuesday, the Bajaj bahu swapped the traditional lal joda for a pretty pink ghagra.’
- ‘Colourful ' ghagras ' worn by several women made up for the absence of traditional ' chanya cholis ' or ' kedias '.’
- ‘A dazzling orange ghaghra suit (from Mokshaa) on a mannequin formed the backdrop for the media interaction.’
- ‘The ghagras she wore were similar to the ones worn by women in miniature paintings which allowed easy circling movements.’
- ‘Damayanti wore such a costume occasionally but she mostly wore saris and ghagras and the sari became her main costume later.’
- ‘Corsets have invaded the sari and tulle skirts or fish-tailed skirts have taken over the ghagras.’
- ‘Apart from the choli, women in Rajasthan wear a form of pleated skirt known as the ghagra or lehanga.’
- ‘In fact, ghagras, shararas and lehenga-cholis have become more popular than saris as wedding or party wear.’
- ‘Neha demonstrated fast chakras in the solo item "Abke Khelungi Holi Jhatake," and her deep crimson ghagra swirled to perfection.’
Hindi ghāghrā, from Sanskrit gharghara gurgle, rattle.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.