One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a genus which comprises the avens.
Genus Geum, family Rosaceae
- ‘Water Avens is another name for this species of geum which, unlike the rest of the genus, is a moisture-loving plant that will do well in damp places by a pond.’
- ‘Corydalis softens the edges of the birdbath, while, at front, heucheras mingle with orange-flowered geum.’
- ‘This geum, which blooms on and off from May to October, is an attractive plant with coppery-pink flowers above a neat clump of fresh green leaves.’
- ‘These include the dahlias and impatiens as well as roses, cyclamen, nicotiana, geum and the darkening petals of Sedum spectabile.’
- ‘Many kinds can go into the ground now, including asters, chrysanthemums, diascia, gaura, geranium, geum, and penstemon.’
Modern Latin, variant of Latin gaeum.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.