Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounPhysics Electronics
The removal of impurities or defects with a getter.
- ‘If a maximum permissible residual gas pressure is exceeded, the electron source is automatically shut down and a gettering process is activated.’
- ‘Differences in the gettering of Cu and Fe impurities at various types of structural defects are demonstrated on the basis of such a discussion.’
- ‘However, the need for gettering of mobile ions has not been removed.’
- ‘When the gettering medium becomes oxidized, it no longer removes the oxygen from the gas stream.’
- ‘Much has been written about gettering in the last 25 years or so, but in essence it all boils down to this.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.