Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The removal of impurities or defects with a getter.
- ‘If a maximum permissible residual gas pressure is exceeded, the electron source is automatically shut down and a gettering process is activated.’
- ‘Much has been written about gettering in the last 25 years or so, but in essence it all boils down to this.’
- ‘Differences in the gettering of Cu and Fe impurities at various types of structural defects are demonstrated on the basis of such a discussion.’
- ‘When the gettering medium becomes oxidized, it no longer removes the oxygen from the gas stream.’
- ‘However, the need for gettering of mobile ions has not been removed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.