One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be dismissed from one's job.
- ‘Well Jennifer got the boot, when in a previous show, she got the highest votes.’
- ‘Anyway, they were down to three women and white-trash gum-chewing girl got the boot.’
- ‘Well, he got the boot after a series of mediocre interviews.’
- ‘The man who had miscalculated got the boot.’
- ‘That's why I was hired in the first place, but I can't really say whether I left or I got the boot.’
- ‘Four contestants were handed their walking papers, and here's a recap of who got the boot.’
- ‘With it, the trend of sending online e-greetings is now slowly getting the boot, as it is definitely much more convenient to send SMS.’
- ‘‘It's an abuse of human rights,’ says the man, who lived in his apartment for 22 years before getting the boot.’
- ‘The best way to win a fight is to know your strengths, and if you're a tenant getting the boot from your landlord, then your strengths are your rights.’
- ‘Unfortunately, it came down to only one winner, and the other got the boot.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.