One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be dismissed from one's employment.‘he got his cards on his 50th birthday’
- ‘We will all be thinking of him, although I don't know when he will be getting his cards.’
- ‘On the shop floor it more or less meant the proles getting their cards and hapless, toadying management promoted beyond their competence.’
- ‘This came under Joe Royle in the 1995/96 campaign but was not enough to prevent the Everton playing great getting his cards shortly afterwards.’
- ‘Most managers get their cards, sooner or later.’
- ‘He was shocked and devastated when he got his cards after more than three decades of service.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.