One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have complete control of a person.‘they had you by your short and curlies the minute they got you into that uniform’
- ‘Unfortunately we have no options - Telkom has got us by the short and curlies because they have got the monopoly.’
- ‘Fate's really got me by the short and curlies this time.’
- ‘Gina was putting on a diplomatic front, but when it came down to it she had him by the short and curlies til Angel got himself out from under the mob's oppressive thumb.’
- ‘. He has you by the short hairs, especially if he sells food and you are hungry.’
- ‘As one diver questioned about Diverlog commented: ‘Unless you want to stop diving at the Cove, they've got you by the short and curlies!’’
- ‘I tell you this… the only time we matter to those scum is when we have them by the short hairs.’
- ‘They think they have me by the short and curlies, but I shaved everything.’
- ‘We should know if the US has us by the short and curlies.’
- ‘To be blunt, we have them by the short hairs here.’
- ‘‘The Casino rat pack plus one’ has got us by the short and curlies and are now turning in their knuckles to increase the pain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.