Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to old age, elderly people, or senescent animals or plants.
- ‘Rapid growth of the inner and basal parts of the apertural margin during their late shell ontogeny caused twisting of the gerontic whorl both outwards and backwards.’
- ‘A permesothyrid foramen is commonly associated with globular, gerontic forms within a single species population.’
- ‘The feature has been considered to be a gerontic characteristic and of no systematic importance.’
- ‘The new species has also established that the strong revolving internal rib of Endoptygma is not a gerontic character.’
- ‘Scattered undulose presepiments, disrupting as many as ten major septa, present in some adult and all gerontic specimens.’
- ‘These differences are not taken to be sufficient to merit recognition of a new species as they may be the result of ecophenotypic variations or gerontic developments in A. gigas.’
- ‘However, this physical process cannot result in the simplification of septal folding in gerontic conchs.’
- ‘A few large specimens were known in 1986, however, these were thought to represent gerontic individuals.’
- ‘A gerontic specimen, more than 8 mm wide, shows the development of high, elevated, bladelike accessory septa.’
- ‘The gerontic aperture is narrowly elongated in species of Eoscoliostoma, but rather circular in Scoliostoma species.’
- ‘This interpretation is also indirectly supported by the close stratigraphic occurrence (Early and Middle Devonian) of these gastropod genera having such an unusual gerontic aperture.’
- ‘None of the morphotypes are identical to the forms of A. concentricus and A. tamurai, especially because the latter species has a posterior radial groove and irregular ribs in gerontic individuals.’
- ‘In summary, examples of deviation from regular tight coiling during late shell stages and the development of a free gerontic whorl may be found in all known Cambrian-Devonian gastropod subclasses.’
- ‘The increasingly low relief of the anterior border with a narrow curvature of the anterior border furrow close to the anterior branches of the facial suture is certainly a gerontic feature.’
- ‘The gerontic whorl of gastropod genera of the subfamily Mitchelliinae is twisted both outwards and backwards, but not upwards as in members of the subfamily Scoliostomatinae.’
- ‘Specimens of Titanoplina were originally thought to be gerontic representatives of Proplina sibeliusi.’
Late 19th century: from Greek gerōn, geront- old man + -ic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.