One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical element of atomic number 32, a shiny grey metalloid. Germanium was important in the making of transistors and other semiconductor devices, but has been largely replaced by silicon.
- ‘Microprocessors are fabricated on a single crystal of a semiconducting material such as silicon or germanium.’
- ‘By forcing crystals of germanium or silicon to grow with impurities such as boron or phosphorus, the crystals gain entirely different electrical conductive properties.’
- ‘Recently, alloys of gadolinium, germanium and silicon have produces a much larger effect size of 3 to 4°C per Tesla change.’
- ‘Rorrer's lab aims to incorporate elements such as silicon, germanium, titanium, and gallium into the diatoms' silica shells.’
- ‘Improving the performance of silicon transistors and circuits by adding another semiconductor material is one approach, and silicon germanium is the most popular of the new materials.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Latin Germanus (see German).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.