One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually treated as singular A contagious viral disease, with symptoms like mild measles. It can cause fetal malformation if caught in early pregnancy.Also called rubella
- ‘She may need to be vaccinated against the German measles.’
- ‘By eleven, he had developed asthma, contracted German measles, suffered from bronchitis, and had his appendix removed.’
- ‘Occasional outbreaks of German measles, whooping cough, polio, and other contagious diseases prompt public health campaigns to immunize Amish children.’
- ‘We have a tradition of associating diseases (often wrongly) with foreign parts - Dutch elm disease, German measles, Spanish flu.’
- ‘A survey of immunity in Australian pre-school children has found higher than expected levels of antibodies to measles and German measles (rubella).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.