One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The use of disease-spreading microorganisms as a military weapon.
- ‘While the great powers were spending massive amounts of money on weapons and germ warfare, children were dying of starvation in many lands.’
- ‘It was during these uncertain times that he forever tarnished his reputation by supposedly resorting to germ warfare.’
- ‘Patrick had not thought about devising an agent of germ warfare since the US programme he ran was scrapped by the Nixon administration in 1969.’
- ‘They corresponded on a variety of military matters but discussed nothing of their involvement in germ warfare.’
- ‘I want to express my outrage at how a company has taken advantage of the current panic over possible terrorist activities involving germ warfare.’
- ‘In Miller's articles on germ warfare, truth and lies were mixed together, resulting in a cover-up masquerading as a daring exposé.’
- ‘Kelly was a scientist for the Ministry of Defence, with expertise in weapons and germ warfare.’
- ‘His administration disavowed international pacts on global warming, missile-defense systems, germ warfare and an international criminal court.’
- ‘Developed for potential germ warfare by the army, it stops transmission of a nerve signal to the muscle.’
- ‘As we know, fears of germ warfare have spread worldwide, and an outbreak of anthrax has spread through tainted mail.’
- ‘They revive past claims of attempts to develop germ warfare weapons, without establishing any link to the current incidents of anthrax.’
- ‘On the other hand, while scary, chemical weapons are clearly not a threat to be compared with nuclear weapons or with the possible uncontrollable consequences of germ warfare.’
- ‘Less than half that was spent on public hospitals, clinics and emergency health facilities - the first line of defense against chemical or germ warfare.’
- ‘Despite an international ban on germ warfare, the army headquarters ordered its use in China.’
- ‘While the first recorded catapulting of plague victims' bodies into a besieged city is by the Mongols, Mayor reveals that the ancients also made use of primitive germ warfare.’
- ‘The most chilling of these, involving assassination squads and germ warfare, were only fully revealed during the investigations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.’
- ‘After narrating a 20th century atmosphere filled with germ warfare, radioactive pollution, smog and global warming, hope is about all we have left.’
- ‘Perhaps avian flu is secretly another plot, a form of germ warfare to bring down the western hemisphere, dependent as it is on the existence of birds.’
- ‘Some experts fear it could be used in germ warfare.’
- ‘In spite of these difficulties, an attempt can be made to better understand why Amherst may have instructed Henry Bouquet to engage in germ warfare.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.