Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Filled with or carrying many germs.‘foul-smelling, germ-laden water’
contaminating, germ-laden, polluting, pestilential, virulentView synonyms
- ‘Sadly, doing the public transport thing meant I was in close proximity to a gazillion germ-laden people sniffling with the lurgy that has been going round.’
- ‘Writers of health advice in the early twentieth century urged people to break down the unhealthy separation of germ-laden indoor air from clean outdoor air.’
- ‘They'll walk up to you, suddenly grab your shoulders, and pin your arms to your sides (in case you are tempted to touch them back with those germ-laden paws of yours).’
- ‘Finally, their name got called, and Mom, Dad, and germ-laden offspring trooped off, presumably to get a peek at the next member of the family.’
- ‘He interacts with hundreds of people a day and handles a lot of germ-laden money.’
- ‘I complained about nurses going to and from work in their uniforms, then going onto surgical wards, germ-laden and treating patients.’
- ‘Stale air humidified by your fellow passengers' sweat and breath may give you a flu or sinus infection, but unfortunately germ-laden oxygen isn't all you breathe in as you wing across the sky.’
- ‘There's only so much a single worker can do with a mop and pail against a ward full of germ-laden filth.’
- ‘One microbiologist concerned about these super-infections has mused that the best thing to happen in major hospitals might be to dump truckloads of germ-laden dirt into the corridors, rather than keep on applying more and more chemicals.’
- ‘Money is filthy and germ-laden, and anyone handling food should wash their hands before they eat.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.