One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slender East African antelope with a long neck, often browsing on tall bushes by standing on its hind legs.
Litocranius walleri, family Bovidae
- ‘This small but spectacular reserve gives visitors a dramatic taste of northern Kenya and its unique dry-country animals: oryx, gerenuk, reticulated giraffe and rare Grevy's zebra.’
- ‘The reserve and the park provide the chance to see Beisa oryx, the tightly striped Grevy's zebra, reticulated giraffe and slender necked gerenuk.’
- ‘Some animals are unique to this northern park: Grevy's zebra, reticulated giraffe, kudu and gerenuk.’
- ‘It is during this period that thousands of animals - wildebeest, waterbuck, giraffe, impala, gerenuk, buffalo and oryx - migrate from the dry Maasai steppe to the Tarangire River in search of water.’
- ‘Some of the unique animals found there are gerenuk (a gazelle with a giraffe-like neck), warthog, impala, bush buck (small antelope) and black rhino.’
Late 19th century: from Somali.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.