Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or produced by the internal heat of the earth.‘some 70 per cent of Iceland's energy needs are met from geothermal sources’
- ‘The large area of wooden flooring conceals hydronic geothermal heating, using the nearby lake as a heat source/sink.’
- ‘On Earth, microbes can derive energy from sources other than the sun, such as chemical and geothermal energy from hydrothermal vents.’
- ‘In addition, the ice sheet acts like a huge blanket that locks in the geothermal heat naturally radiated from Earth.’
- ‘Hopefully in the near future St Lucia will receive its electrical power from this geothermal source.’
- ‘Experts say geothermal heat pumps can be used almost anywhere in the U.S. and the world.’
- ‘The average rate of cooling can be translated into mean incision rates assuming a geothermal gradient.’
- ‘A closed-loop geothermal heat pump system relies on the constant temperature of the earth below the frost line.’
- ‘These rocks were later affected by low-grade metamorphism under high geothermal gradients.’
- ‘With their geothermal underground springs, Icelanders heat their water for next to nothing.’
- ‘It descends to a considerable depth, where it picks up geothermal heat and dissolves minerals.’
- ‘He was long associated with study of geothermal features and water issues of Yellowstone National Park.’
- ‘As with other alternative sources of energy, geothermal power is considered environmentally friendly.’
- ‘Site geologic conditions dictate the economic viability of either type of geothermal system.’
- ‘High geothermal activity and high heat flow at shallow levels in the crust are most likely due to aqueous fluids.’
- ‘Once wet-based ice covered the area, the limited permafrost would have melted as a result of geothermal heating.’
- ‘Water as hot as 380°C gushes out of geothermal springs along the spreading centers.’
- ‘There is no way a local authority can say that it cannot grant a building consent for that property because of subsidence or geothermal activity.’
- ‘The internal, or geothermal, heat from within the Earth is responsible for the fact that temperature increases with depth.’
- ‘At €750,000, this five-bed property is equipped with a geothermal heat pump and solar panels.’
- ‘Alternatively, the present-day geothermal gradient may be lower than that used in calculating the profile.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.