One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK and Commonwealth countries) a medal for bravery awarded especially to civilians, instituted with the George Cross in 1940.
- ‘The Australian War Memorial says both the George Cross and George Medals are recognised under cultural heritage laws and cannot be taken out of the country without permission.’
- ‘Four George Medals went to that gallant band of explosives officers who all defused a number of devices, one of them being killed.’
- ‘Other decorations awarded to the Home Guards included thirteen George Medals and two George Crosses, both posthumous.’
- ‘Henderson had been awarded a George Medal during the Mau Mau war in Kenya.’
- ‘The result was that the George Medal was introduced as a ‘junior’ to the George Cross.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.