One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The science of agriculture.
agriculture, cultivation, tilling, tillage, husbandry, land management, farm managementView synonyms
- ‘Where are our schools of geoponics, where can we find the youth, who has a taste for rural botany and agricultural chemistry?’
- ‘Some who have sent their sons to study geoponics at the Institutions in which instruction is given, have had good cause to speak slightingly of the advantages accruing from the expense of educating the rising generation in the modern practice of agriculture.’
- ‘There, too, he may be said to have served his apprenticeship under that most able master in geoponics, his father.’
- ‘"I like a bit of a garden; I indulge in geoponics," he added, playfully.’
- ‘The horticultural skill of the Greeks appears from their writers on geoponics to have been considerable.’
Early 17th century: from Greek geōponikos, from geōponos ‘farmer’ + -ics.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.