Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The central number in a geometric progression (e.g. 9 in 3, 9, 27), also calculable as the nth root of a product of n numbers.→ mean
- ‘In addition, presenting arithmetic means while comparing geometric means statistically can only encourage misinterpretation.’
- ‘It is easy to see that the medial and the binomial are closely related to the geometric mean and the arithmetic mean respectively.’
- ‘As the magnitude of fluctuation increases, the geometric mean becomes smaller relative to the arithmetic mean, so that fitnesses decrease with increasing magnitude of fluctuations.’
- ‘The geometric means of the zone sizes obtained by disc diffusion for all the antimicrobials were reflective of the susceptibility pattern of the study isolates.’
- ‘The effects of the legislation were summarised as relative rates and ratios of geometric means, with 95% confidence intervals.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.