One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The central number in a geometric progression (e.g. 9 in 3, 9, 27), also calculable as the nth root of a product of n numbers.
- ‘The effects of the legislation were summarised as relative rates and ratios of geometric means, with 95% confidence intervals.’
- ‘As the magnitude of fluctuation increases, the geometric mean becomes smaller relative to the arithmetic mean, so that fitnesses decrease with increasing magnitude of fluctuations.’
- ‘The geometric means of the zone sizes obtained by disc diffusion for all the antimicrobials were reflective of the susceptibility pattern of the study isolates.’
- ‘It is easy to see that the medial and the binomial are closely related to the geometric mean and the arithmetic mean respectively.’
- ‘In addition, presenting arithmetic means while comparing geometric means statistically can only encourage misinterpretation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.