Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] The branch of science that deals with the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data relating to the earth's surface.
- ‘He is a consultant in geomatics and environmental interpretation.’
- ‘Two reference station software packages provide scalable systems for surveying, mapping, and geomatics.’
- ‘These data may be related to environmental, physical, geographical, social, or engineering phenomena; one key aspect of geomatics as opposed to the former term, surveying, is that geomatics spans many subject areas.’
- ‘He holds a bachelor's degree in geomatics and a master's degree from the Department of Geomatic Sciences at Laval University.’
- ‘At last count, the intranet-based group encompassed 19 different communities, with discussion topics ranging from physics to geomatics.’
1980s: from geography and informatics.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.