Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The branch of science that deals with the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data relating to the earth's surface.
- ‘He is a consultant in geomatics and environmental interpretation.’
- ‘He holds a bachelor's degree in geomatics and a master's degree from the Department of Geomatic Sciences at Laval University.’
- ‘Two reference station software packages provide scalable systems for surveying, mapping, and geomatics.’
- ‘At last count, the intranet-based group encompassed 19 different communities, with discussion topics ranging from physics to geomatics.’
- ‘These data may be related to environmental, physical, geographical, social, or engineering phenomena; one key aspect of geomatics as opposed to the former term, surveying, is that geomatics spans many subject areas.’
1980s: from geography and informatics.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.