One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The process or technique of identifying the geographical location of a person or device by means of digital information processed via the Internet.
- ‘However, when Twitter geolocation is launched, the feature will be disabled by default.’
- ‘Another big question about geolocation is, "Who cares?"’
- ‘The IP address is recorded and the geolocation inferred from the IP address is stored in the database.’
- ‘What's interesting is that IP addresses are generally assigned by country, and there are databases of IP addresses versus geolocation.’
- ‘Far from splitting the Web, geolocation's proponents say, the technology makes the Internet more meaningful to a global audience.’
- ‘Otherwise, lots of websites try to guess where you live using techniques known as geolocation.’
- ‘It is used for statistical and environmental analysis, market survey, banking, geolocation, and other versions.’
- ‘Actually, geolocation on the Net has been around since the early '90s.’
- ‘The time-of-arrival identified for the line-of-sight component of the incoming signal at a plurality of locations can then be processed to determine the geolocation of the wireless terminal.’
- ‘You won't be able to control who sees your location with Twitter geolocation.’
- ‘Advocates counter the privacy concerns by arguing that geolocation alone cannot identify specific users.’
- ‘Google, which already had redirected foreign visitors to country-specific homepages, expanded geolocation in April to let merchants target ads by city or distance from a given address.’
- ‘Regardless of privacy concerns (which I'll look at later in this article), it looks as though nothing will stop geolocation.’
- ‘This geolocation is usually based on the IP address provided by your ISP.’
- ‘Or completely different services could be included, like podcasts, to-do lists, geolocation, and web conferences.’
- ‘Geolocation is expected to be an important theme of the South by Southwest conference in Austin, Texas, which starts tomorrow.’
- ‘Use geolocation to find a job near your real-time location.’
- ‘Geolocation is also used by companies to direct users to local content seamlessly, particularly companies with global Web sites.’
- ‘In a nutshell, geolocation analyzes the user's IP address (the number associated with your computer) to guesstimate where the user is accessing the Internet.’
- ‘Regardless of the concerns, as the mobile internet continues to grow, so geolocation will grow with it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.