One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to geodesy, especially as applied to land surveying.
- ‘In the past three decades he has done extensive geodetic surveying in India and Tibet and completed numerous investigations of historic Indian earthquakes.’
- ‘The most effective course of action satisfying the two latter requirements is to use a geodetic information system with a set of necessary maps of terrain.’
- ‘Seismologists use geodetic observations such as measurements of tilt and land deformation to predict when an earthquake might be about to take place.’
- ‘While he could claim to compete in the quality and scope of his cartography and geodetic work, the truly distinguishing feature of his survey was its military tenor.’
- ‘A theodolite is permanently installed at the center of the beam in order to define its orientation with a back-sight toward another geodetic point.’
Late 17th century: from Greek geōdaitēs ‘land surveyor’, from geōdaisia (see geodesy).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.