One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small cavity in rock lined with crystals or other mineral matter.
space, chamber, hollow, hole, pocket, pouchView synonyms
- ‘Sphalerite in crystals to 8 cm and cleavage masses to 30 cm across occurs in geodes of the well-known southeastern Iowa localities, such as those around Keokuk.’
- ‘One case has a selection of crystal-lined geodes, several filled with amethyst, from the Josini area of northern KwazuluNatal in South Africa.’
- ‘Most of the thirty-two pages on Moroccan agate are color plates of superb geodes with fantastic patterns and inclusions.’
- ‘Some visitors gather around the sparkling amethyst geodes or the shining pyrite crystals.’
- ‘Mordenite lines most of the geodes as the typical fine hairlike crystals of the species.’
- ‘Colorless quartz crystals lining geodes have also been found at approximately 300 feet below the trail at the South Overlook locality.’
- 1.1 A rock containing a geode.
- ‘Joy likens the house to a geode, the coarseness of the rough steel exterior contrasting with the refinement of the interior.’
- ‘Two adjacent geodes from the same piece of shale could be cracked open, and one would be lined with brown calcite, the other with quartz.’
- ‘It's centered around this hill with all these geodes, and a stone archway at the top.’
- ‘It is a geode having a small U-shaped cavity crammed with tiny quartz crystals.’
- ‘In the extreme and startling contrast between its outer and inner life, it resembles some kind of weird rock or geode that, split open, reveals a spectacular mineral formation.’
- ‘People love to do camping here because of the fascinating aura and to grab 15 pounds of agates, geodes and quartz that anyone can gather and take to home.’
- ‘‘This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,’ exclaimed a collector from the Keokuk area who was working beside me splitting geodes out of shale.’
- ‘Do I not take responsibility for my stress when I lift the geode and consciously transform the stress energy into something healthier for my physical body?’
- ‘They are different from geodes in that they have a solid center, often displaying a great contrast between the rocky shell of brown and the milky white and clear crystal center.’
- ‘It's a teeny one… but like all geodes there is a whole different world inside.’
- ‘He opened one of the largest geodes and gave half to Hart.’
Late 17th century: via Latin from Greek geōdēs ‘earthy’, from gē ‘earth’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.