One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘If physiologic genu varum or genu valgum persists beyond seven to eight years of age, orthopedic referral is indicated.’
- ‘May develop genu valgus or varus deformity at knee if there is a disproportionate loss of cartilage on one side.’
- ‘Bowleggedness (the medical name for this is genu varum), an exaggerated bending outward of the leg from the knee downward, can be inherited.’
- ‘Mal-alignment factors above the ankle, such as genu varum, can also contribute to increased stress on the Achilles tendon.’
- ‘Tightness of the iliotibial band, excessive foot pronation, genu varum, and tibial torsion are predisposing factors.’
- 1.1Biology A part of certain structures resembling a knee, in particular a bend in the corpus callosum of mammals.
- ‘The anterior cerebral artery can be seen running on the medial surface of the hemisphere, first beneath and then around the genu of the corpus callosum.’
- ‘The team found that the brain connections deteriorated three times as fast in the genu compared to the splenium.’
- ‘The cingulate sulcus begins below the rostrum of the corpus callosum and arches in front of the genu of the corpus callosum, about a finger's breadth distant from it.’
- ‘The anterior and posterior portions of the corpus callosum curve sharply downwards to form its genu and splenium, respectively.’
- ‘There is evidence of a small focus of hyperintensity along the undersurface of the genu of the corpus callosum.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.