One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A country gentleman who has a farm as part of his estate.
- ‘In 1866 the country's first major winery was established at Canada's most southerly point by three gentlemen farmers from Kentucky who planted 20 acres of Isabella vines.’
- ‘Her father, a young barrister from Manchester with dreams of becoming a gentleman farmer, had acquired a 70-acre property in southern California’
- ‘The threadbare plot of the film concerns a song-and-dance man who retires from showbusiness to become a gentleman farmer but finds country life more demanding than he thought.’
- ‘In the 18th century, gentlemen farmers such as Robert Bakewell of Dishley in Leicestershire took an active interest in improving livestock.’
- ‘By 1840 they had earned enough money to retire and became gentlemen farmers in North Carolina.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.