One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A country gentleman who has a farm as part of his estate.
- ‘The threadbare plot of the film concerns a song-and-dance man who retires from showbusiness to become a gentleman farmer but finds country life more demanding than he thought.’
- ‘In the 18th century, gentlemen farmers such as Robert Bakewell of Dishley in Leicestershire took an active interest in improving livestock.’
- ‘In 1866 the country's first major winery was established at Canada's most southerly point by three gentlemen farmers from Kentucky who planted 20 acres of Isabella vines.’
- ‘By 1840 they had earned enough money to retire and became gentlemen farmers in North Carolina.’
- ‘Her father, a young barrister from Manchester with dreams of becoming a gentleman farmer, had acquired a 70-acre property in southern California’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.