One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The genetic constitution of an individual organism.Often contrasted with phenotype
- ‘What evidence to you have that the genotype of such organisms has not evolved?’
- ‘Phenotypic plasticity enables individuals or genotypes to assume obviously different phenotypes during the life cycle.’
- ‘If a hypolipidaemic drug were found to be effective in only one genetic subgroup the genotypes would be of more interest.’
- ‘To determine the haplotypes of an individual, the genotypes of both parents may be required.’
- ‘These strains offer the genetic reproducibility that is so valuable in lab mice, but with a wider variety of genotypes and phenotypes.’
Investigate the genetic constitution of (an individual organism)‘the person appointed will be responsible for maintaining and genotyping many different lines of zebra fish’
- ‘The lines are for when the cost of genotyping a single marker is expressed in the units of the cost of rearing.’
- ‘This analysis was preceded by genotyping the main ancestors of the southern soybean gene pool for the flanking markers.’
- ‘Many rams have already been genotyped for their ability to pass on resistance to scrapie.’
- ‘Eighteen microsatellites were genotyped in order to investigate which population of the adjacent countries was the possible source.’
- ‘All other plants from crosses involving a resistant mutant line were genotyped.’
Early 20th century: from German Genotypus, from Greek genos ‘race, offspring’ + -tupos ‘type’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.