One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bent at a sharp angle.
- ‘This species differs from B. variabilis in the absence of a strongly recurved element with a flaring base and the lack of a geniculate element in the apparatus.’
- ‘Change that does occur in the tabularium of geniculate corals is limited to the tabulae themselves; at the bends tabulae are more complete and widely spaced than those above or below.’
- ‘Further, the blood flow was of benefit to the knee through the geniculate arteries.’
- ‘The corpus profile is weakly concavoconvex and there are short trails, the dorsal being strongly geniculate.’
- ‘Individuals were classified as adults when males developed geniculate right antennules, and when females developed large wing-like processes on the posterior end of their prosomes.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin geniculatus, from geniculum ‘small knee, joint (of a plant)’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.