One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of having a friendly and cheerful manner; affability.‘he was endowed with geniality and good humour’
friendliness, affability, cordiality, congeniality, amiability, warmth, easy-going nature, approachability, sympathetic nature, good nature, good humour, cheerfulness, cheeriness, neighbourliness, hospitality, companionableness, bluffnessView synonyms
- ‘People still spoke of the startling geniality of its citizens and the rare peace of its neighbourhood.’
- ‘The letters are serious when they should be, yet packed with geniality and wisdom.’
- ‘An awareness of what really matters in life is why he is able to exhibit such geniality and good grace when dealing with the ferocious criticism that has come his way.’
- ‘‘We have a visitor,’ Ben said with forced geniality as he dismounted.’
- ‘I doubt that anyone, even someone with the president's geniality and popularity could get much through the Senate these days.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.