One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person competent in several different fields or activities.
- ‘As it happens, he is in the process of inventing a new form of education, designed to help us all become generalists rather than specialists.’
- ‘Do generalists differ from specialists in the prescription of cognitive enhancers?’
- ‘Since they are often generalists whose popularity extends beyond partisan lines, they can have a subtle, almost imperceptible political influence.’
- ‘I accept that when politicians run departments, they're there as generalists whom specialists report to, but in all other circumstances why should the head guy be the most clueless?’
- ‘Few organisms are generalists that can live equally well in different habitats.’
- ‘Bench statements are read in open court to an audience that has no idea what cases (if any) will be released that morning, so they are addressed to generalists.’
- ‘The analyses in table 6 assess whether generalists and specialists learn differently from heterogeneous accident experiences.’
- ‘The problem is not when generalists specialize, but when specialists generalize.’
- ‘Meanwhile, 29 species of habitat generalists - like the carrion crow and the wren - have increased by an average of 23 percent.’
- ‘We can measure wins and losses in competitive trials between generalists and specialists.’
- ‘Future research into exactly why generalists and specialists learn differently from these different sources of failure information would be useful.’
- ‘Non-executives, selected for being generalists with insight, are now often required to second guess management in areas beyond their technical competence.’
- ‘Leaders are, ideally, generalists that can understand and handle many different parts of a company.’
- ‘In commercial airlines, there may be analogous differences in learning between generalists and specialists.’
- ‘Look to your own ranks to find competent generalists.’
- ‘‘There were too many generalists,’ said one company insider.’
- ‘Two recent molecular studies removed these doubts for several species and show that most of the dominant species were acting as generalists under field conditions.’
- ‘These are the analytical tools that judges, who in our system are generalists rather than specialists, bring to the task of adjudicating cases in specialized fields of law.’
- ‘There is much work in organizational ecology investigating the differential life chances of generalists and specialists over time.’
- ‘For the generalists the lure of assignments in different corners of the world is perhaps the main attraction of their work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.