Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shop that sells a wide variety of goods, typically one in a small town or village.
- ‘Visitors can work at a farm stand or get behind a soda fountain in the old general store.’
- ‘The repair of the shutters on the old general store offered an additional learning opportunity.’
- ‘Tickets can be purchased from any firefighter, at Lowe's general store in the center of town, or at the supper.’
- ‘He eventually raised enough money to open a general store in Oneonta.’
- ‘In addition to operating a general store, he traded in land.’
- ‘A few years ago, a woman in a small town in Texas put up the general store she owned for sale on eBay.’
- ‘They were sold at the local general store, or exchanged for merchandise or store credit.’
- ‘Antiques occupies a former general store built by the town's founder.’
- ‘We bought ice cream at the general store from an authentic old person.’
- ‘Later in the fall of the year, J. H. Roberts started a general store, being the last business established in the town.’
- ‘A third general store then opened up in Cleggs Lane in 1986.’
- ‘Saturday began well, with the discovery of Swing's watch at a nearby general store.’
- ‘In 1947 at the age of 17, he began to work at a general store owned by Hugo Ludwig, a German national.’
- ‘They visited the general store only once every. five weeks, meaning they made do with less.’
- ‘In an embarrassment of poor acting, Lil approaches David at the general store.’
- ‘In their function, however, they're not unlike the general stores of frontier days.’
- ‘Restless, she wandered through the main floor of the century-old building, originally Moorcroft's first general store.’
- ‘The village has only a general store with a post office combined where years ago there were at least four shops here.’
- ‘In Huntington, a community of 2,500 people south of Burlington, the efficiency program has helped the owners of Beaudry's general store.’
- ‘Riasat Ali, who runs a general store in the market, is angered by the plans.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.