One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The highest rank of officer in the US army, above general.
- ‘Although there was no national draft in placed at the time, George Washington - who was the general of the army of the colonies at the time - proposed that a draft should be put in place.’
- ‘Hence, Gen. Ulysses S. Grant proposed in 1866 to place the Adjutant General under the control of the commanding general of the army, who was to be responsible directly to the president through the secretary of the army in all army matters.’
- ‘He looked no short of an officer of great honor or perhaps a general of the army.’
- ‘The ‘five star’ ranks of general of the army or field marshal, or equivalent, have been generally abolished except in time of full-scale war.’
- ‘Above all, he thought the generals of the army painfully slow and inconsiderate to leave him in such mental agony.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.