One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The stock of different genes in an interbreeding population.
- ‘It's part of how the gene pool is filtered and successful genes spread, just like any other animal in the jungle.’
- ‘Selective elimination of genetically flawed newborns is necessary if we are to prevent their inferior genes from entering the gene pool.’
- ‘The genes of this particular chance group will then dominate the entire gene pool of populations to come.’
- ‘Producing offspring which are direct copies of one another reduces the gene pool, meaning all animals have the same genes.’
- ‘Such a stratification could be based on passport data, knowledge of the structure of the gene pool, or both.’
- ‘Less traumatic and emotional than funerals and weddings, family reunions are a grand opportunity to check out your gene pool.’
- ‘The life of the mind, the life of the genome and the gene pool are characterised alike in this way by change, and change which feeds on the random.’
- ‘A commonly used method to increase the genetic flexibility of commercial crops is to make use of the gene pool of closely related wild relatives of the crops.’
- ‘But in the past few decades, the rise of the lobster industry and tourism circulated some fresh blood into the gene pool.’
- ‘Every local population of a species has its own gene pool with its own mutations and errors of sampling.’
- ‘Heterogeneity of the gene pool was further confirmed by global analysis of all samples.’
- ‘If it were genetic, it would gradually disappear from the gene pool because they don't reproduce as often.’
- ‘They usually grow up multilingual and more open-minded as well as enjoying good looks, a high IQ and a strong gene pool.’
- ‘The American gene pool is mutating into one in which people like me will be a minority within half a century.’
- ‘This can seriously affect the representative gene pool in the collection by loss of those accessions that do not respond well to the culture conditions.’
- ‘All but the rarest genetic changes will be drowned in the gene pool, so to speak.’
- ‘On the other side of the gene pool, it will be different this year.’
- ‘The following questions were addressed: What are the main divisions of the gene pool?’
- ‘Organizations in crisis or those seeking to widen their executive gene pool are more likely to look elsewhere.’
- ‘My brother says it's time for a little more chlorine in the gene pool.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.