One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The stock of different genes in an interbreeding population.
- ‘Heterogeneity of the gene pool was further confirmed by global analysis of all samples.’
- ‘The life of the mind, the life of the genome and the gene pool are characterised alike in this way by change, and change which feeds on the random.’
- ‘If it were genetic, it would gradually disappear from the gene pool because they don't reproduce as often.’
- ‘On the other side of the gene pool, it will be different this year.’
- ‘The genes of this particular chance group will then dominate the entire gene pool of populations to come.’
- ‘The American gene pool is mutating into one in which people like me will be a minority within half a century.’
- ‘Organizations in crisis or those seeking to widen their executive gene pool are more likely to look elsewhere.’
- ‘Selective elimination of genetically flawed newborns is necessary if we are to prevent their inferior genes from entering the gene pool.’
- ‘Such a stratification could be based on passport data, knowledge of the structure of the gene pool, or both.’
- ‘This can seriously affect the representative gene pool in the collection by loss of those accessions that do not respond well to the culture conditions.’
- ‘The following questions were addressed: What are the main divisions of the gene pool?’
- ‘A commonly used method to increase the genetic flexibility of commercial crops is to make use of the gene pool of closely related wild relatives of the crops.’
- ‘All but the rarest genetic changes will be drowned in the gene pool, so to speak.’
- ‘Less traumatic and emotional than funerals and weddings, family reunions are a grand opportunity to check out your gene pool.’
- ‘But in the past few decades, the rise of the lobster industry and tourism circulated some fresh blood into the gene pool.’
- ‘My brother says it's time for a little more chlorine in the gene pool.’
- ‘They usually grow up multilingual and more open-minded as well as enjoying good looks, a high IQ and a strong gene pool.’
- ‘Every local population of a species has its own gene pool with its own mutations and errors of sampling.’
- ‘It's part of how the gene pool is filtered and successful genes spread, just like any other animal in the jungle.’
- ‘Producing offspring which are direct copies of one another reduces the gene pool, meaning all animals have the same genes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.