Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The process whereby, during meiosis, one allele in a heterozygote is converted to the other by a process of mismatch repair.
- ‘Homology of nuclear regions may be confused by recombinant processes such as gene conversion.’
- ‘Genetic flux due to gene conversion will homogenize regions across the inverted segment, but the size of the region affected will be small.’
- ‘Extensive genetic analysis showed only gene conversion events without crossing over.’
- ‘For divergent duplicate genes, gene conversion will considerably increase the genetic distances.’
- ‘Laboratory-based studies have found significant gene conversion on the human sex chromosomes and in the malaria parasite.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.