Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The process whereby, during meiosis, one allele in a heterozygote is converted to the other by a process of mismatch repair.
- ‘Extensive genetic analysis showed only gene conversion events without crossing over.’
- ‘Homology of nuclear regions may be confused by recombinant processes such as gene conversion.’
- ‘Genetic flux due to gene conversion will homogenize regions across the inverted segment, but the size of the region affected will be small.’
- ‘For divergent duplicate genes, gene conversion will considerably increase the genetic distances.’
- ‘Laboratory-based studies have found significant gene conversion on the human sex chromosomes and in the malaria parasite.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.