Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(in informal use) a unit of heredity which is transferred from a parent to offspring and is held to determine some characteristic of the offspring.‘playing tennis is in my genes’
congenital characteristics, congenital traits, Genetics, genetic make-up, genesView synonyms
- ‘The child will be a carrier of the trait if only one gene from the parents is transmitted.’
- ‘The condition is rare and is caused by the inheritance of an abnormal gene from an affected parent.’
- ‘Nowadays, the phrase is extended to mean the ability to pass on one's genes to one's offspring.’
- ‘Karma helps to imprint a code on the soul, similar to the genetic code on the genes.’
- ‘If your genes code for grey hair at a later time, you will become grey as you get older.’
- 1.1 (in technical use) a distinct sequence of nucleotides forming part of a chromosome, the order of which determines the order of monomers in a polypeptide or nucleic acid molecule which a cell (or virus) may synthesize.
- ‘Proteins encoded by the abnormal genes are then identified and their interactions studied by pathway analyses and probable functions deduced.’
- ‘Each of these species contains opsin genes which are not expressed in the adult retina.’
- ‘The accessory gland protein-coding genes were isolated in such a way that favors overrepresentation of highly expressed genes.’
- ‘In other mollusks a relatively small number of mitochondrial genes are transcribed from the second strand.’
- ‘The new analysis confirmed the existence of 1,098 protein-coding genes on the X chromosome.’
Early 20th century: from German Gen, from Pangen, a supposed ultimate unit of heredity (from Greek pan- ‘all’ + genos ‘race, kind, offspring’).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.