One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The role or behaviour learned by a person as appropriate to their gender, determined by the prevailing cultural norms.‘the emphasis on maintaining traditional gender roles’
- ‘She believes parents have a big role to play in challenging the stereotypes and gender roles promoted by many toy companies.’
- ‘Ripley challenged gender roles with her ruthless, take-no-prisoners alien battles and the role was so popular, it earned her an Oscar nomination in 1986.’
- ‘Originally placing men as breadwinners and women as caregivers, these states have attempted to rebalance gender roles in their programs over the decades.’
- ‘Most of the female characters I admire come from science fiction and fantasy, maybe because there's more permission to shake up gender roles in genre.’
- ‘Beyond its beautifully executed thriller elements, Flynn offers up some very amusing and incisive commentary on gender role expectations in modern relationships.’
- ‘Reviewing newspaper articles from the past is a great way to track social attitudes towards gender roles, politics and popular opinion.’
- ‘Other researchers have found that people with traditional views on gender roles are 25 percent more politically conservative.’
- ‘Peggy, buoyed by her ambition, refuses to be stymied by convention or traditional gender roles.’
- ‘We've thrown out antiquated, sexist dating rules and gender roles.’
- ‘While the traditional gender roles of men as providers and women as housekeepers remained rigid, times were beginning to change.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.