One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A precious or semi-precious stone, especially one cut, polished, and used in a piece of jewellery.
- ‘Until recently few people considered Wyoming to have potential for gemstones other than nephrite jade.’
- ‘Examples of various types of opal gemstones and opal jewelry are part of the exhibit.’
- ‘To him, they looked like turquoise gemstones sparkling in the sunlight.’
- ‘Like those objects, the cup is decorated with gemstones - emeralds, rubies, and sapphires.’
- ‘Traders in Livingstone have been urged to start dealing in gemstones to sell the precious stones to the many tourists who visit the tourist capital.’
- ‘Sometimes a merchant would stop by, looking for gemstones or precious metals that couldn't be found anywhere else.’
- ‘Other attractions include gemstones, temple jewellery and pendants.’
- ‘They were shiny and deep, like actual polished amethyst gemstones.’
- ‘She stopped at a stand selling jewelry and rare gemstones, glancing over its inventory.’
- ‘The precious gemstones did not appear to be anything out of the ordinary, and simply hung benignly from their chains.’
- ‘Adjacent to it was a golden ring with three polished gemstones inserted into it.’
- ‘The fabulous wealth of the Mughals is particularly demonstrated through the gemstones and jewellery that they collected.’
- ‘His aqua eyes twinkled in the moonlight like gemstones on a lavish piece of jewelry.’
- ‘Gold, gemstones, jewellery and leather are all good buys here.’
- ‘As for the cut and polished gemstones the majority of the pieces that were purchased were calibrated.’
- ‘The speciality of these pieces is that the gemstones are powdered and used as base colours, which reflects the imagination of the artist.’
- ‘Their lands are known for delicate gold work and abundance of gemstones, especially turquoise.’
- ‘Couldn't she see there were no gemstones on the bracelet that he had given her?’
- ‘The resulting bracelets and brooches were realised in gold and enamel, encrusted with a dazzling array of precious gemstones.’
- ‘I propose that rough coloured precious gemstones should be exempt from customs duty just as rough semiprecious stones are.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.