One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Solidification by freezing.
Mid 19th century: from Latin gelatio(n-), from gelare ‘freeze’.
The process of forming a gel.
- ‘Disruption of the microtubule network significantly weakens the elastic response, and the disassembly of actin filaments completely prevents gelation.’
- ‘On one side, protein gelation is involved in many biological processes such as blood coagulation or wound healing.’
- ‘Theoretically the occurrence of particle gel formation is linked with percolation although this is a necessary rather than a sufficient condition for gelation to occur.’
- ‘It has been reported that doxorubicin can be concentrated to such an extent within liposomes that gelation takes place in the presence of the divalent sulfate counterion.’
- ‘The chamber was incubated at 37'C for 1.5 h to allow gelation to occur.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.