Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Having a jelly-like consistency.‘a sweet, gelatinous drink’
jelly-like, glutinous, ropy, gummy, sticky, gluey, slimy, thick, viscousmucilaginous, colloidal, viscidgooey, gunky, gloopy, cloggy, ickygloppyviscoidView synonyms
- ‘For contrast, he used dried, powdered fish scales as a thickener in another dish, which ‘added collagen for a thin, shiny, gelatinous consistency.’’
- ‘My friend's sautéed king prawns were big, succulent specimens, as you'd expect for £9, but the honey-and-ginger sauce was a sickly-sweet, gelatinous mess.’
- ‘I was a gummy adherent, gobbling gelatinous animal shaped confections like they were going out of style.’
- ‘Currently, there is a toy on the market that consists of a green gelatinous ooze; it is called, simply, Slime.’
- ‘The gelatinous pattern consists of numerous encapsulated organisms and little inflammation.’
- ‘First of all, the flavours come from this weird, vaguely gelatinous mixture of jam, molasses and tobacco (apparently, the amounts of tar and nicotine are quite minimal).’
- ‘It consisted of a delicate, gelatinous broth in which tufts of egg white and crab meat were suspended.’
- ‘The specimen consisted of an aggregate of soft, gelatinous, pink-yellow tissue.’
- ‘The base was creamy and almost gelatinous, liberally sprinkled with clams and chunks of potato.’
- ‘In both cases, approximately 10% of the sample consisted of soft, gelatinous fragments highly suggestive of typical inflammatory nasal polyps.’
- ‘The cut surfaces of the lung were markedly hemorrhagic and had a gelatinous consistency.’
- ‘The taste was good, not too eggy, and I rather enjoyed the caramelized pond of syrup surrounding the mound of cream, though I found the latter to be slightly too gelatinous in texture.’
- ‘They don't use high fructose corn syrup, the nonfat yogurt is creamy and rich, not gelatinous, it has real identifiable pieces of fruit, and it just tastes darn good!’
- ‘Am I going to become the queen of the ant colony, all gigantic and gelatinous and pulsating, tended to by little worker drones because I've lost all of my appendages and therefore the ability to move?’
- ‘The paste stood out amongst its neighbours on the platter, not for its taste, but for its bright pinkish colour and shiny, gelatinous consistency - a treat to some, but not my personal fave.’
- ‘The texture of the dish was simply beautiful - the crisp crab, the tongue-clinging cream, the gelatinous, tenuous tomato uniting into a cheery little song of sweet and light.’
- ‘This lesion was brown, irregular in shape, and had a consistency that varied from gelatinous to firm.’
- ‘(Finally I've come to appreciate gelatinous texture in savoury food, thus catching up with everyone else in this hemisphere).’
- ‘The upper surface is usually sticky, or gelatinous when wet, and of a blood-red colour which darkens with age.’
- ‘Try siphonophores, gelatinous animals that live in the deep sea, whose abundance is only now being measured by scientists in Monterey Bay, but may take the prize.’
- 1.1Of or like the protein gelatin.
- ‘In my experience, thick gelatinous cyst fluid is simply ‘old’ fluid with high protein content.’
- ‘The cyst is filled with soft, gelatinous, sticky, and mucoid fluid.’
- ‘Ask your butcher to cut a pork shoulder and neck in one piece with the bones left in - you need the bones to provide the wonderful gelatinous material that makes your masterstock such a great asset in your kitchen.’
- ‘All cyanobacteria are unicellular, though many grow in colonies or filaments, often surrounded by a gelatinous or mucilaginous sheath.’
- ‘The neuromast organ consists of hair cells and support cells embedded in a gelatinous cupula.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.