One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The spirit of an individual or group.
- ‘For Geist (in Hegel's sense) to come into play this self-development needs to be connected to the national culture of Germany.’
- ‘According to these, reality (in the form of Geist for Hegel, or social structures for Marx) may be literally inconsistent.’
- ‘The Idea, now as Spirit or Geist, directs the course of history through the will of world-historical individuals (the famous people you read about in history books).’
- ‘The solution lay in an interpretation of reality which invoked the notion of absolute spirit, or Geist.’
- ‘I have rejected the third option, because it is obviously important to Hegel that what he calls Geist is one and the same thing, notwithstanding the different aspects of it that emerge in his various writings.’
- ‘In this form Shiva is withdrawn into the absolute and is the symbolic equivalent of Geist.’
- ‘Whereas Hegel uses the dialectic to trace the development of the Geist, Marx would apply it to the development of Capital.’
- ‘But what I, for want of a better term, call the head and the dominant force, or Urmacht, of the body is that guiding light which we call mind or intellect or Geist.’
German; related to ghost.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.