One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of gears which transmits motion from one shaft to another.
- ‘They can be used in designing gear trains, including those that might be found in a planetarium to simulate the relative motion of the sun and moon around Earth.’
- ‘This moves an oscillating weight that drives a rotor via a tiny gear train.’
- ‘Also, the gear train of a mechanical watch is under constant load from the mainspring whereas the gear train in a quartz watch is not under any load.’
- ‘The first things to go in were the engines, a job that required a lot of measuring and development of a gear train to match their output to the belts and shafts that drove the looms.’
- ‘Traditional electric-motor gear trains sacrifice speed for torque, or vice versa.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.