One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gear lever.
- ‘The bystanders jumped out of the way of the speeding Japanese machine as he pulled on the gear shift with a smooth control.’
- ‘He had chosen it because it was an English car, so the steering wheel was on the right side; driving on the right side of the road would be confusing enough without having to deal with a gear shift on the wrong side of the wheel.’
- ‘The invitation fell into a crevice between the gear shift and the seat.’
- ‘Initially, customers groused about a grinding gear shift, poor air-conditioning, and lousy tires.’
- ‘I jammed the gear shift into park and jumped out of the car, wiping my pants off.’
- ‘It may take longer to learn to cope with a new kind of gear shift in my car, and I may have trouble discarding some of the old responses practiced daily over a number of years.’
- ‘You move a cursor around the screen by turning a knob set between the seats, directly behind the gear shift, and enter commands by pushing down on the knob.’
- ‘I would sit in his lap; he would run the gear shift, clutch, and brake.’
- ‘‘If the car is supposed to cater to the needs of people who love adventure, why is the gear shift so close to the CD / cassette player, in between the beverage holder and ashtray,’ a friend said.’
- ‘Many cyclists don't understand the gear shift patterns.’
- ‘I doubt if they made another one, but it was certainly a well engineered little project - other than the gear shift.’
- ‘It was remarkably straightforward in concept, a front-engined, rear-wheel-drive twin-seat sports car with a short-throw gear shift, long bonnet, short rear end and pop-up headlights.’
- ‘The gauges are laid out perfectly, and the seats are deep and the gear shift is high.’
- ‘It brings the same high level of quality, bank-vault body structure, feathery gear shifts and magic carpet ride of its predecessor and adds many improvements.’
- ‘I'm sure the car absolutely surges along if you get the one that's fitted with a four-litre V8 petrol engine and a manual gear shift, but mine had the 2.5-litre diesel and was automatic.’
- ‘If you offer gear shift knobs, steering wheels and other interior components in a variety of colors, you have to have the parts available in all the colors to make repairs.’
- ‘Instead of a foot-operated gear shift pedal it had a button on the handlebar.’
- ‘The vehicle is available with a six-passenger configuration, which does away with the center console and puts the gear shift lever on the steering column.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.