One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gear lever.
- ‘Instead of a foot-operated gear shift pedal it had a button on the handlebar.’
- ‘I would sit in his lap; he would run the gear shift, clutch, and brake.’
- ‘I'm sure the car absolutely surges along if you get the one that's fitted with a four-litre V8 petrol engine and a manual gear shift, but mine had the 2.5-litre diesel and was automatic.’
- ‘It was remarkably straightforward in concept, a front-engined, rear-wheel-drive twin-seat sports car with a short-throw gear shift, long bonnet, short rear end and pop-up headlights.’
- ‘I jammed the gear shift into park and jumped out of the car, wiping my pants off.’
- ‘He had chosen it because it was an English car, so the steering wheel was on the right side; driving on the right side of the road would be confusing enough without having to deal with a gear shift on the wrong side of the wheel.’
- ‘The gauges are laid out perfectly, and the seats are deep and the gear shift is high.’
- ‘If you offer gear shift knobs, steering wheels and other interior components in a variety of colors, you have to have the parts available in all the colors to make repairs.’
- ‘The invitation fell into a crevice between the gear shift and the seat.’
- ‘The bystanders jumped out of the way of the speeding Japanese machine as he pulled on the gear shift with a smooth control.’
- ‘It may take longer to learn to cope with a new kind of gear shift in my car, and I may have trouble discarding some of the old responses practiced daily over a number of years.’
- ‘You move a cursor around the screen by turning a knob set between the seats, directly behind the gear shift, and enter commands by pushing down on the knob.’
- ‘The vehicle is available with a six-passenger configuration, which does away with the center console and puts the gear shift lever on the steering column.’
- ‘It brings the same high level of quality, bank-vault body structure, feathery gear shifts and magic carpet ride of its predecessor and adds many improvements.’
- ‘Many cyclists don't understand the gear shift patterns.’
- ‘Initially, customers groused about a grinding gear shift, poor air-conditioning, and lousy tires.’
- ‘I doubt if they made another one, but it was certainly a well engineered little project - other than the gear shift.’
- ‘‘If the car is supposed to cater to the needs of people who love adventure, why is the gear shift so close to the CD / cassette player, in between the beverage holder and ashtray,’ a friend said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.