One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Change to a lower gear.‘we geared down to creep through the square’
- ‘But unfortunately, when they geared up, I think they forgot to gear down.’
- ‘He believed he geared down three gears, which would have put him at about 60-65 k/hr.’
- ‘Take it slow, increase your distance from other traffic, signal your intentions early and gear down rather than brake whenever you can.’
- ‘Once on an icy section, do not accelerate, brake, gear down, or make a sudden change in steering direction.’
- ‘As hitters gear up, he gears down, recording outs with changeups traveling as slowly as 68 mph.’
- ‘For example, he would maintain 6.5 mph at 50 rpm in one gear and then, as he geared down, he found he maintained 8 mph at 70 rpm without a perceived increase in effort.’
- ‘Plus, there are tons of controversies on the ‘best’ way to handle some situations (gear up or gear down, shut off fuel or use what power is left, etc.).’
- ‘They were trying to gear down from Central Park and get ready to go to the JJB Stadium.’
- ‘You enjoy the soundtrack a lot more in the convertible version, and I could often be found in tunnels, gearing down, top down, and enjoying the soundtrack of this engine.’
- ‘Around the province, some coastal communities will be gearing up for certain fisheries, while others will be gearing down from other activities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.