One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Change to a lower gear.‘we geared down to creep through the square’
- ‘Take it slow, increase your distance from other traffic, signal your intentions early and gear down rather than brake whenever you can.’
- ‘As hitters gear up, he gears down, recording outs with changeups traveling as slowly as 68 mph.’
- ‘Plus, there are tons of controversies on the ‘best’ way to handle some situations (gear up or gear down, shut off fuel or use what power is left, etc.).’
- ‘You enjoy the soundtrack a lot more in the convertible version, and I could often be found in tunnels, gearing down, top down, and enjoying the soundtrack of this engine.’
- ‘For example, he would maintain 6.5 mph at 50 rpm in one gear and then, as he geared down, he found he maintained 8 mph at 70 rpm without a perceived increase in effort.’
- ‘He believed he geared down three gears, which would have put him at about 60-65 k/hr.’
- ‘But unfortunately, when they geared up, I think they forgot to gear down.’
- ‘Around the province, some coastal communities will be gearing up for certain fisheries, while others will be gearing down from other activities.’
- ‘They were trying to gear down from Central Park and get ready to go to the JJB Stadium.’
- ‘Once on an icy section, do not accelerate, brake, gear down, or make a sudden change in steering direction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.