One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An arena or ring for cockfighting or stick-fighting.
- ‘Why doesn't the ministry grant more licences all other companies that wish to jump into the gayelle to provide the service that we so much deserve, need and demand?’
- ‘He moved to Rio Claro as an agricultural officer, where, he has said, he got involved in the community, singing for stickfights at the gayelle.’
- ‘Stickfight gayelles all over Trinidad in 1996 provided Carnival excitement and sustained areas of intensity from New Years Day to Carnival Monday.’
- ‘In the West Indies the gayelle is best known as the stage for stick fighting, or the pit for illegal cock fighting.’
- ‘While stick fighters are usually male, skill and quickness is a worthy opponent to strength in this violent dance and many women have been victorious in the gayelle.’
From Spanish gallera ‘cockpit’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.