One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
God (used for emphasis or to express surprise, anger, etc.)‘Oh Gawd! I'd completely forgotten about it’
- ‘I was waiting for you to jump on the table and gloat about having him ask you out, but you… Gawd, you weren't acting like yourself.’
- ‘Dear Gawd, I cannot believe that my party could actually be this dumb.’
- ‘If they'd had their way we would have invaded Russia, for Gawd's sake.’
- ‘Oh my Gawd, I'm turning into a moaning, old git.’
- ‘The old lady saw us and just yelled [in an American drawl], ‘Oh my Gawd!’’
- ‘Like fer Gawd's sake, that was last year's news.’
- ‘Fer Gawd's sake, I hope it won't take long, I'm bloody thirsty!’
- ‘What in Gawd's name is it going to take to get these people to actually, you know, do their jobs?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.