Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An oversized page in a book or magazine folded to the same size as the other pages but intended to be opened out for reading.
- ‘If it does, the third album - which will be delayed three years while the band self-destructs - will feature a gatefold cover, lyrics printed on the sleeve, and perhaps custom art on the record label.’
- ‘As an impressionable 16-year old, I thought it was normal for a gatefold album to contain poetry by a musician's guru.’
- ‘There's a picture on him on the gatefold sleeve on the original LP release of the album.’
- ‘It is a lavish piece of publishing - four sorts of paper, double and triple gatefolds, copious colour photographs and drawings - intended to provide a visual record of the exhibition.’
- ‘Their well-finished gatefold digipaks make the old jewel boxes seem cheap and clumsy while getting closer to the feel of the original 12-inch LPs.’
- ‘It explains the ideas behind the inkblots and the gatefold / recordsleeve-like format of the catalogue.’
- ‘The gatefold sleeve is rather fetching, but the music within is anything but.’
- ‘And they're talking about something else these pesky kids wouldn't understand - the snap, crackle and pop that an old gatefold album sleeve made when you opened it up.’
- ‘Lift the first gatefold up, the second gatefold down and the next gatefold sideways to the left.’
- ‘The inside gatefold of McCartney, the former Beatle's first recording apart from his legendary group, was festooned with a collage of family photos.’
- ‘Those who feel they have something they need to say are usually the ones most deserving of a good thrashing when the results are posted on the gatefold sleeve.’
- ‘Perhaps there'll even be a couple of sleeve fetishists unconsciously drawn to the lovely gatefold packaging.’
- ‘The world map on the gatefold hints at his global impact.’
- ‘The book is notable for its four variously conceived gatefolds.’
- ‘The album comes in a gatefold digi-pack with a separate booklet with lots of photos, all the lyrics and as much information as you are likely to need on the band.’
- ‘There is an even balance of nearly 300 color and black-and-white photos; this includes four gatefolds that measure nearly 1.25 meters in length.’
- ‘Right then, I have a spare ‘mint’ copy of this LP on gatefold vinyl which needs a good home.’
- ‘It contains early images, gatefolds, installation shots and drawings, as well as two scrolls that can be removed and unrolled.’
- ‘And, unsurprisingly, the packaging is equally gorgeous - an embossed gatefold CD sleeve complete with black disc envelope and postcard, as well as slightly skewed typeface setting.’
- ‘Designing a band's digital image, whether that's for the mobile phone, emerging digital networks or the World Wide Web, is going to be as important as a gatefold sleeve.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.