One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An optical instrument used for inspecting the interior of the stomach.
- ‘Similarly, at the upper end of the alimentary tract, rigid instruments were used for the examination of the oesophagus and for the stomach, the earliest gastroscopes were introduced in Germany during the 1930s.’
- ‘He greatly enjoyed being a surgical registrar at Barts and pioneered the use of the gastroscope in England, learning the technique in Germany.’
- ‘When viewed with a gastroscope (a telescope that doctors use to examine the stomach) they look a little like mouth ulcers.’
- ‘‘There, even in the most remote rural areas, clinics are equipped with a gastroscope that makes early detection and removal of tumours easy, with a high success rate,’ he says.’
- ‘The diagnosis of Whipple's disease in two patients who were negative for the disease by biopsy three years before suggested that the disease may be transmitted by gastroscopes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.