Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mollusc of the large class Gastropoda, such as a snail, slug, or whelk.
- ‘The major groups of drilling marine predators include octopods and gastropods.’
- ‘The beach sands are dominated by shells of bivalve mollusks, mainly venerids, gastropods, and echinoderms.’
- ‘During this period the gastropods, like the cephalopods, underwent a tremendous evolutionary radiation.’
- ‘Sponges are preyed upon by gastropods, polychaetes, asteroids, echinoids, turtles, and fishes.’
- ‘Included here are the gastropods, bivalves, cephalopods, and other lesser groups, as follows.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.