One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Refined petroleum used as fuel for internal combustion engines; petrol.
- ‘I could smell the gasoline leaking from the truck.’
- ‘A few years later, platforms were mandated to prevent pilot lights from igniting gasoline fumes.’
- ‘Gasoline stations in the city were prohibited from selling leaded gasoline by the end of October 1998.’
- ‘Let's pour more gasoline on the fire.’
- ‘The mother had warned them that heat from the kitchen might ignite the gasoline in the fuel tank.’
- ‘The bill calls for doubling the use of ethanol as a gasoline additive by 2012.’
- ‘He always came home tired from his job as a gasoline tanker truck driver.’
- ‘Never use gasoline in a kerosene heater because it can cause a fire or an explosion.’
- ‘The national average for regular unleaded gasoline is now $1.70 a gallon and rising.’
- ‘The 85-horsepower gasoline engine provides most of the power.’
- ‘Profit margins for dealers would be capped at 16 cents per gallon on regular unleaded gasoline.’
- ‘The engineer then described a gasoline tank truck that was not clearing the crossing ahead.’
- ‘Lead is used to increase the octane number of gasoline to lower its burning point and make it easier to burn.’
- ‘Consumers are paying a national average of more than $3 a gallon for regular unleaded gasoline.’
- ‘Of these, 99.9 percent are powered by leaded gasoline and diesel fuel.’
- ‘I wrote a little script to calculate how many miles you save by buying cheaper gasoline.’
- ‘She also quickly blotted up the spilled gasoline with some paper towels and tossed them into the toilet.’
- ‘They have poured gasoline on a already raging fire.’
- ‘The machine features a 31-hp gasoline engine, coupled with a high-efficiency variable drive transmission.’
- ‘The refinery is the nation's largest producer of gasoline, kerosene and other refined products.’
Mid 19th century: from gas + -ol + -ine (or -ene).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.